The cardboard boxes industry is expected to grow about 3.8% per year in the period that goes from 2020 to 2025. This indicates that the market is expected to reach a value of US$ 205.7 billion worldwide in this period. In addition, up to 193.2 million tons of corrugated cardboard should be consumed by then. That’s what a survey by Smithers, a multinational company specializing in testing, consulting, information and compliance services, recently released.
Another factor analyzed in the research was the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on this segment. According to the report, the pandemic will indeed have a marked impact on the corrugated cardboard industry, especially in the regions most affected by the virus. On the other hand, less affected countries are expected to reach record numbers in online purchases, especially for electronics.
The Future of Corrugated Cardboard Boxes
In addition, the research still identifies some trends that should accentuate in the next two and a half years, check below.
- Recycling and sustainability continue to be a growing concern among consumers, which should pressure the industry to increasingly use cardboard over plastic. Many large companies in the segment are even investing heavily in the use of recycled fiber to manufacture cardboard boxes.
- Demand for finer flute grades is expected to increase – this type of packaging will gain more market share, often replacing folding cartons. The increase in consumption of this type of packaging – which is widely used in the beauty, cosmetics, jewelry segments – is directly connected with the demand for quality digital prints, the next trend to be addressed in this blog post.
- Demand for high-quality digital printing on packaging, especially in white cardboard, will increase. This is closely linked with the increase in online shopping, and so is the demand for unboxing experiences. We talked a little bit about this here.
- Even if COVID-19 lockdowns are in the past, e-commerce will continue to grow. So much that there’s room to develop other corrugated cardboard formats for e-commerce, combining convenience and extra protection. There are companies that now have dedicated design teams to provide premium solutions for online businesses.
- New coating technologies, including bio-based polymer solutions, will help improve the recyclability of coated corrugated cardboard boxes types. Many R&D sectors of large manufacturers are focused on the development of 100% recyclable and/or biodegradable packaging.
Cardboard Boxes in Canada
As the data and trends presented indicate, both the cardboard box segment and online commerce must continue to reinvent and strengthen themselves. After all, the consumer will not abandon the habit of buying online that has been acquired in recent years.
If you are a company that works with online commerce and you are looking for a supplier of quality cardboard boxes, please contact us. We can help you with the best options for your case. In addition, we also work with custom printing and competitive delivery times. To contact us, click here.